Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A Change of Heart......

It happens every time. I stand firm on an issue, then bend a little to accommodate those that I really care about. And EVERY time I do this, I get burned.

I have to say, I am really getting tired of it.

Here's the situation. I wrote about my friend who is getting help for her demons. To get just a little more specific....her demon, is a substance abuse issue.

The whole concept of substance abuse is far from new to me. I have been privy to it
for most of my life. All these years of being party to another persons "partying" have taught me a thing or two (or a thousand) about addiction.  The biggest thing, however, is that I have developed a pretty big intolerance of it. I just don't have the time, patience or understanding one needs to deal with an addict. It just pisses me off that someone could allow a drug to wreak so much havoc on their lives.

So, that being said, I think I have had a little change of heart when it comes to my friend. It bugs me that the selfishness she displayed while using.....has apparently carried over into her sober life as well. I am worried that this event is going to mark the end of our friendship. I truly love this chick and would hate to lose her friendship, but I don't know that I have the neccesary attributes that one would need in dealing with an addict in recovery.

Does all of this sound horrible?? I know it must, but this is honesty for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment