Thursday, February 28, 2013

Brace yourself!! Today the topic is.....Tantrums!!

 I decided on "temper tantrums" as a topic for my inaugural "Brace Yourself" post, for two reasons. The first reason is that it's not too intense. I don't want to scare people away with my crazy ramblings and over the top ideas....at least not this early in the game. The second, and most important reason is, I have a two year old with super baby strength and the lungs of a 300 lb. opera singer!!!


My lil' Monkey is truly something else. I would never have guessed, before she was walking, that she would have the.....dominant?!?! Yea!! That she would have such a dominant personality. She was such a mild tempered baby. She wasn't fussy, she hardly ever cried, and wasn't a howler. We knew for sure that my Lil Monkey would be our easiest baby and that she was going to be the sweetheart/peacemaker of the kids. We were SOOOO incredibly wrong!!! I should say though, that she has her precious moments. She is my cuddliest baby. Bubba and Bitty were not much for being held, Bubba especially. The Monkey, on the other hand, has always been perfectly comfortable in ANYONE'S arms! She enjoyed her perch on my hip and when she wasn't there, her 2nd favorite spot, was in Daddy's lap.


I am not sure what brought on the change in her....well, maybe I am. My Bitty girl had a very hard time adjusting to being a big sister. It took her a good deal of time to come to terms with it. My theory, is that by the time Bitty was "okay" with her little sister, the damage was already done. My lil Monkey had been bullied, in a subtle, sibling, kind of a way. When she found her voice, and was steady on her feet....that was all she wrote!!! She has been anti-Bitty ever since. She, literally, picks on her big sister. There have been times when she's had my poor Bitty, trapped in corners. She pinches, bites, scratches and throws an occasional blow at her big sister, knowing full well that her behavior IS NOT going to be tolerated (especially by Daddy).


That type of behavior, has been a constant (and recently increasing) source of tension and stress in our household, for almost a year. The screaming and throwing herself out.....that's something all together new. When I say "new", I mean that I had never, not EVER, experienced such outrageous behavior with my two older children. My Bubba boy, has been quiet and shy and very well mannered for (basically) his whole life. My Bitty? She was an angel up until her little sister started walking and talking, and is FINALLY getting all the kinks out of her halo. My Monkey, on the other hand (and  I hate to admit it) is my naughtiest baby :(.... She has had full blown, screaming at the top of her lungs, throwing herself out, hitting anything in reach.....TEMPER TANTRUMS!!!!


Presently, I am at a loss. I can handle occasional unruly behavior.....but this kid has me stressed out!! I feel like, if I were to spank her hand every time she hit someone or threw something....both of our hands would be black and blue. A swat to the bottom does NOTHING to her...she sometimes sticks that lil' butt out for ya!! Time out.....in my opinion....is for suckers!!!


This child.....I think she might be a masochist!!! She takes us to that point. She'll know whats coming, know what will happen if she does....whatever...again. Thing is, SHE DOES IT!!! And we either keep making empty threats, or have to listen to 20 minuets of howling over a swat to the DIAPER or (basically) a tap in the hand.


So.....do we discipline harder now?? Do I just give up, be glad I got two outta three, good babies?? Send her to Grandma's and.....oops, forget she's there....for a year!!!


What would you do???


2 comments: